best of 2019: skincare edition


I feel like I say this every year but I can't believe it's already the end of the year! I try and do a round-up of my favourite skincare and makeup products from the year each year so I thought I'd start off with my skincare favourites! I included a mix of products that launched this year and older products, basically anything that I loved using in my routine!




Youth to the People is a brand that really stood out for me this year! I loved every product I've tried from them so far and I think if I could only use one skincare brand for my routine it would be YTTP (and that's a pretty big statement!) They had some amazing launches this year but their Superfood Antioxidant Cleanser is a long-time favourite of many and is now one of my go-to cleansers! It just feels super refreshing and and is perfect for a morning cleanse! I really can't recommend it enough!


Glossier also had some amazing launches this year with one of them being their Milky Oil makeup remover! At first I didn't love this because it's pretty pricey for not a ton of product but it's one of the best makeup removers I've tried! It really takes off everything (mascara that even my Bioderma micellar water can't remove!) and it doesn't irritate my super sensitive eyes at all. I don't use this to remove my makeup every day, usually just to remove more stubborn eye makeup!


One of my first ever Drunk Elephant products and it's a good one! It melts off makeup so easily and doesn't leave any oily residue behind! It removes eye makeup without any irritation although it does leave a bit of a film behind so I usually just use it to remove face makeup! It's also pretty affordable, especially for a Drunk Elephant product and the amount of product you get!



I got to try out some Kylie Skin products this year and was super impressed by a lot of them, especially the Vanilla Milk Toner! I usually don't love fragrance in skincare but the scent of this toner is incredible! It's very light and disappears quickly but I really enjoy using this because of both the scent and the actual product! This is one of the thickest toners I've used which means it feels soo hydrating on the skin!


I've never really been a huge fan of face mists until I tried this one from Youth to the People! It has the finest mist I've ever used so it feels super refreshing and hydrating on the skin! It also has some great ingredients!


Chemical exfoliants are a huge staple in my routine cause they help so much to keep acne away and treat any irritation. This one from Cosrx is definitely my favourite that I've used! It's super simple and effective but doesn't cause my skin any irritation! I use it around 2 times a week and it's made such a huge improvement in my skin!




If you have acne scarring/hyperpigmentation like I do, this serum is an essential! It's super hydrating and helps so much to improve my dark spots! It also leaves my skin super glowy! Definitely pretty pricey but so worth it!


I love a good hydrating product and this layering essence was amazing! Super simple and feels cooling on the skin so I thought it was great for summer! It doesn't feel heavy on the skin and really is a great product for layering!


Another amazing hydrating serum! Cica helps to calm redness and inflammation so I loved using this in the morning time or if I was experiencing any irritation. It does have a light herbal scent but it disappears quickly!


This serum is a lifesaver! Any time I feel a breakout coming on or have irritation, I use this and it clears everything up! It also helps to fade acne scarring as well! The price is so affordable which is great cause I go through this stuff pretty quickly cause it's really that good! It does pile when used with some other products or makeup so I only use this in my nighttime routine which I don't mind.



Another amazing Caudalie product! This is a bit pricey as well but it's such a perfect daytime moisturizer! The texture is so nice, lightweight and wears super well under makeup! Just an all around great moisturizer. 


Like I said before, Youth to the People has just been hitting all the marks for me this year! This moisturizer is just everything I could ask for in a nighttime moisturizer. Hydrating, seals in my other skincare and leaves my skin very plump and glowy when I wake up!


Versed is a brand that launched this year and I have fallen in love with so many of their products! They have great ingredients, cute packaging and their products are super affordable (all under $20!) This is a great moisturizer for the winter time or if you have dry skin because it is very thick and hydrating but doesn't clog my pores at all! Would definitely recommend their whole product line!


I have very dark under eye circles and kind of gave up on trying to find an eye cream that fixed that until I tried this one from Saturday Skin. It's the only eye cream where I've actually noticed it brightening my under eyes which is amazing! Plus it's super hydrating and doesn't irritate my eyes at all!


Glossier launched an eye cream this year which I was super excited about, mostly because you can also use it on your lips! While this isn't brightening at all, it is very moisturizing and plumping like it says which is why I love using this in the morning! I just really love the way this makes my under eyes look!




Versed launched some of my favourite face masks ever this year including their Brightening and Tightening mask! This has clay in it which helps to calm down any breakouts I might be having and it also has brightening ingredients! I love using brightening products since they usually leave my skin super glowy and this one is no exception! Plus, it's only $10! 



I think this mask is on everyones favourites list this year because it really is that good! It's such a thick formula so it really helps to lock in all my other skincare and keep my skin hydrated and glowy! I love using this if I'm experiencing any redness or irritation because it helps calm everything right down! Definitely worth the higher price point!



This is my favourite dry shampoo of all time! It smells incredible, doesn't leave a white cast in my dark hair and soaks up oil super fast! I've gone through a few bottles of this because it really is the best! 


I really love the idea of this shampoo because if I could have beachy waves at all times I'd be very happy! While it doesn't give my super straight hair a ton of wave, it does give a bit of definition and a lot more volume and texture! Plus I love that you don't need to use a conditioner with this!


If you have frizzy hair, this stuff is essential! It really helps to tame any flyaways and defines waves and curls! Ouai describes this as lotion for your hair and I definitely agree! It keeps hair hydrated without weighing it down!


Like I said before, I have super straight hair that refuses to hold a curl so I wasn't expecting to like this Wave Spray as much as I do! I spray this onto damp hair before bed and it really helps to give my hair a bit of wave and curl! It doesn't feel crunchy at all and it smells incredible!




There are a lot of Ouai products on this list and for a very good reason! I loved that they expanded more into body products this year and am a huge fan of both of them. The Body Crème feels so fancy and expensive! I am obsessed with the unisex scent! And the formula is incredible! Leaves the skin feeling hydrated but not greasy cause it sinks in so nicely.


This is one of the best shower gels I've ever tried! It smells like very fancy hotel soap which I love! It lathers up nicely and doesn't strip the skin at all!


I'm a sucker for Maison Margiela fragrances and the Glow Filter is no exception. It smells like very expensive sunscreen and sunshine! A very beachy, warm scent! I think if you're a fan of Beach Walk you'd love this! Plus it's way less expensive than the og fragrances since it's a fragrance oil. It's designed to be layered with other scents but still smells incredible when worn alone!


Last but not least, Lait de Coco from Urban Outfitters. These fragrances are super affordable and wear really nicely! This one smells very beachy and like coconut which definitely isn't for everyone but I'm obsessed! I love that you can get all the scents in different products like hand cream and candles (which I definitely picked up!)

And that's all the skincare/body care products that really stuck out to me this year! A lot of them I loved so much that they've been emptied and replaced! If I had to pick one product from this list that I couldn't live without, it'd be The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% serum. Hope you enjoyed and found some new products to try out! Stay tuned for my best of 2019: makeup edition!

xx


Comments