best of 2020: makeup edition

 


I can't believe it's almost the end of 2020 cause this year literally felt like the longest year of my life! Although I didn't wear as much makeup as I usually do throughout the year I still wanted to share my favourite makeup products of 2020! 

Some of these brands I won't be purchasing from anymore unless they make some big and much needed changes (especially in terms of shade ranges and inclusivity). I won't be getting rid of them from my collection since I don't want to waste products so I'll be working to finish them up.  

B A S E  P R O D U C T S



This has been on my favourites list in past years because it's just the perfect base product for me! Light to medium coverage that doesn't feel heavy on the skin and gives a glowy finish! It also has spf but I don't rely on that for my sun protection.


Another base product that I love! This tinted moisturizer is light to medium coverage as well and wears and feels similarly to the Clé CCC cream. I won't be repurchasing as the shade range is horrible since they only have 3 shades...


I haven't been reaching for concealer a ton lately but when I do it's still this one. I just love how creamy and blendable this is, plus it has pretty good coverage!


This isn't an essential product for me but I do love it! It gives a little bit of coverage and also brightens up the skin! Perfect for under the eyes. It's definitely a cult classic for a reason!


B L U S H




This might possibly be my favourite blush of all time? I have the shade Magic Hour which is the most flattering blush shade I've ever tried for my skin tone (and I know a lot of other people love it as well). It's super creamy, pigmented but still easy to blend.


If you love a glowy blush this is for you! I feel like this product gets overlooked a lot from Fenty but I am a huge fan! I have the shades Pink Lemonade and Yacht Lyfe which are gorgeous. This always makes my skin look incredible when I wear it!


I think this was one of the launches I was most excited for in 2020 because Fenty is my favourite makeup brand and cream blush is my favourite makeup product! I got two shades, Strawberry Drip and Petal Poppin. These aren't the most pigmented but they do build up nicely. I definitely recommend Petal Poppin if you're looking for the perfect peachy blush.



I can't do a favourites post without cloud paint because I still use it all the time and love it! Definitely the most user-friendly blush and great for makeup beginners. Puff, Beam and Dusk are my most used shades. Not super happy with Glossier at the moment though..


H I G H L I G H T E R


This was probably my most used highlighter this year, mostly because I'm trying to project pan it haha. It is still super pretty and natural looking!


I also used this highlighter a lot and love it especially for inner corner highlighting. Is it worth $80 though? Definitely not... I also am not really down to support this brand at the moment because they haven't done a good job of making their shade range more inclusive.


Tower 28 was definitely a great discovery for me this year! This highlighter is super similar to the Glossier one, just with no glitter. It gives a really nice dewy (not shiny) finish to the skin which looks super natural!


M A S C A R A



I'm torn about this mascara tbh but still chose to include it haha. It makes my lashes look incredible cause it gives them a ton of volume and length! On the downside, the packaging is pretty messy and it did dry out quickly.


This is still probably my favourite mascara of all time! It just makes my lashes look naturally pretty and fluttery lol which is definitely the look I'm going for! I also don't like when mascaras are hard to remove and this one comes off so easily.


This was a new mascara discovery for me from the Sephora birthday gift! I know a lot of people raved about this when it launched a couple years ago and I see all the hype! It gives a similar effect to the Fenty mascara and makes my lashes look long and volumized. 


E Y E B R O W S


I think this was my brow favourite last year as well and I'm still a big fan! It doesn't have the most intense hold, but it also doesn't leave any whitecast or leave brows feeling crunchy at all! Plus you can't beat that price!


I was sceptical about this brow gel at first because the brush is t i n y but I was super impressed! The brush is actually really great for putting hairs where you want them and it also has a lot of hold!


E Y E S H A D O W




I tried out a lot of 3CE makeup this year and was so impressed! These eyeshadows are great for a more natural look because they add a really pretty shimmer to the lid. I have the shades #delightful and #fabulous (#fabulous is my favourite).


This is such a great palette to have in my makeup collection because the shades make the perfect eyeshadow toppers! They're all glitter shades which is really fun, although you'll probably need another eyeshadow palette to use alongside this one. I find that the tones really compliment my eye colour a lot!


This has kind of replaced my Glossier lidstars this year! I've been preferring something a little more pigmented which this definitely is, plus it's so easy to apply! A great one and done product (although it works well as a base for other eyeshadows!)


I wore these eyeshadows so much before quarantine, especially the shade Gleam Girl! It can be worn alone or also works great as a topper! These are super glittery but I love that the glitter isn't chunky at all!




Shades: 7daywknd / poolside

sand castle / mint'd mojito

These highlighter duos were on my wish list for the longest time so I finally picked them up over the summer and am so happy I did! Technically they're highlighters but I only wear them as eyeshadows haha. The shades are really unique put still very wearable! 


Shade: girl next door / chic phreak

This highlighter duo I also use as eyeshadow! The shades are great for everyday since they're more natural (pinky and bronze). Not the most pigmented since they are highlighters but I kind of prefer that!


L I P  P R O D U C T S



Shade: Daddy's Girl

For the amount of times I've worn lip products this year there are definitely way too many products on this list haha. This lip gloss was definitely one of my most worn before quarantine since it's cute and goes with basically everything!


Shades: 004 Coral Glow

006 Berry

When I did wear lip products this year they tended to just be tinted balms so the Dior Lip Glows got a lot of use! I love that these feel comfortable on the lips and give a really pretty subtle tint. 


Shades: 001 and 002

Another tinted lip balm I loved were these ones from YSL! The shade 001 was probably my most worn lip product this year as it's just the perfect nude! I actually think these might be getting discontinued cause they're no longer on the Sephora website and they're on sale on the YSL website so I highly recommend picking one up before they're gone!


Shade: Latte Lips

I wasn't expecting a lot from this product tbh since it's just a lip balm but I was so surprised by how much I love it! It's so creamy and comfortable on the lips and it gives a really pretty wash of colour! The shade I got is such a gorgeous nude and I definitely want to pick up the other two shades now!






If you know me you're definitely not surprised that these lip glosses are on my favourites list yet again! They're definitely my most worn lip products because they're comfortable, come in so many cute colours, and give such a pretty glossy finish to the lips! I think I have every colour that's been released (other than the clear) and will definitely pick up more shades if they launch in the future! I highly recommend the limited edition holiday gloss sets as a way to try out gloss bomb, plus the shades are always so fun!


Shades: #218 mirrorlike

#219 brilliant


Shades: #rosebait

#sand lily

It's not often I wear an actual lipstick but when I did it was these ones from 3CE. They always create the most flattering lipstick shades! They're matte which I don't love but I just layer a gloss over top and they're perfect!




And those are all my favourite makeup products of 2020! Sadly I didn't get to wear a ton of makeup this year with masks and not leaving the house for half the year but I'm hoping that will change for the better in 2021! Stay tuned for my Best of 2020: Skincare Edition blog post which will be going up shortly!

xx Taylor

(Some links are affiliate so I do gain a small commission if you choose to support me by shopping through them <3)

























Comments