a full review of amika haircare


Amika is a haircare brand that I've been loving for a few years now! I never used to be someone who spent much time on my hair or used a lot of haircare products but Amika has definitely changed that for me. I'm lucky enough to get to work with them and am a part of their ambassador program which is why I have such an extensive collection of their products. I thought I'd be fun (and hopefully helpful) to review (almost) every product I've tried from them so you can find your new favourite!

Ps I do have a discount code "LILYYTAY" which gives you 10% off your order on their website! 

First I want to talk about Amika's signature fragrance that's used in most of their products! It's one of my favourite scents in a haircare brand and I love that it isn't too strong! They describe it as a blend of warm vanilla, fresh citrus and spicy sweet clover. 

For reference, my hair type is fine and very straight! I also get oily roots very quickly but have a dry scalp. Obviously not every product I love will work for every hair type but I tried to note which hair types I think certain products would work best for!


Shampoo, Conditioner, and Hair Masks


This is one of my favourite Amika products of all time! It's just their basic shampoo and conditioner but it works so well for my straight, fine hair! It leaves my hair soft and shiny but isn't too heavy of a formula (aka it doesn't make my hair greasy right after I wash it).


Another great shampoo and conditioner! I would say it's pretty similar to Normcore but maybe a bit more moisturizing since it is supposed to repair damaged hair! Definitely a good option if you have colour-treated or heat-damaged hair! Doesn't have the signature  Amika scent as far as I can tell (it smells more like green apple).


This duo is great if you have fine or straight hair! It really does help to make hair feel thicker and gives more volume! It's not a super drastic difference but definitely noticeable!


My go-to product last summer! I love how easy this shampoo is! You don't need to use conditioner with it and it just gives hair a lot more volume! I think if you have wavy hair this would really help to define it!


Such a good treat for my hair! I use this whenever my hair is feeling a bit dry or dull and it really helps to bring back shine and moisture! I only use it on the ends of my hair since it can make finer hair a bit greasy if you use it on the roots.


This is an amped up version of the Soulfood Mask! If you have very dry or damaged hair you will love this! Perfect for the winter time!


Styling Products


Such a good product! This makes my hair look like I just got back from the salon! You spray it onto damp hair and blow-dry with a brush to style. It gives a nice amount of volume and a lot of shine! Would definitely recommend!


This is a product that just didn't end up working for my hair type. I get oily roots very easily so the last thing I need is a hydrating dry shampoo. I think if you are looking for a dry shampoo but have dryer hair this would definitely be a good option! It comes out as a foam (similar to mousse) and you work it into your hair. It does leave hair a little damp so I'd recommend using this before you go to bed so it has time to work during the night!


This is my favourite Amika product and my favourite dry shampoo of all time! It really helps to get rid of greasy roots without leaving any white cast or residue! It does come out of the bottle white but is very easy to blend into my dark brown hair! Plus it smells incredible and leaves my hair feeling so much fresher!



Such a great product for summer! You spray this onto damp hair,  blow-dry to activate and it really helps to keep frizz away! My fine hair tends to get frizzy a lot so this is definitely very helpful to have!


I don't tend to use this product very often since my oily hair doesn't tend to need extra hydration. I could see this working really well for those with drier hair types or damaged hair!


This is a new to me Amika product which I've really been enjoying! I got it in their New Dimensions Holiday Kit which is actually a really great deal! I love the wave definition it gives my hair when I air dry it! It can be a little crunchy if you use too much but I feel like every mousse is that way.


Styling Products


Another favourite! This helps so much to tame frizzy ends and smooth everything! I basically use this every day since it's the perfect finishing touch and makes my hair look so much better!


This is pretty similar to a hair oil but doesn't feel greasy at all! I use it on damp hair and it helps to keep hair shiny and frizz free! Also helps with flyaways and keeping hair hydrated!


I didn't expect to love this product as much as I do! I have been skipping conditioner for a few months now to help out with my oily hair so I like to use this on damp hair to keep my hair hydrated without having to use conditioner! It definitely doesn't give my straight hair any curl but it does keep it from getting dry or frizzy!


I have mixed feelings about this one! It does help give my fine hair a bit of volume at the roots but it also leaves a slightly sticky residue behind. Not my favourite.


I don't have a ton of use for this product but do use it occasionally to help smooth down flyaways! I think if you're someone who likes a slicked back ponytail this would be great for that!


I love this product so much! Like I said before, I don't use regular conditioner very often so this is great to use on damp hair when I get out of the shower to add back moisture to my hair! I don't have colour treated hair so I can't speak to that feature but I like that it has UV filters and antioxidants to help protect hair!


Tools


Such a fun tool! It gives really cool beachy looking waves and is pretty easy to use! I think it would work best on medium to thick hair since this doesn't give my straight hair waves with the most volume but definitely still works! If you're someone who doesn't like to curl your hair because it takes too long this would be perfect for you!


This is a lifesaver! So much easier than a straightener since you just brush through your hair, plus it leaves way less damage! I definitely prefer this way more than a hair straightener!


I had never invested in a good hairdryer before this and I will say it makes a huge difference! It takes me way less time to blow dry my hair and it also leaves my hair with almost no frizziness! I used to avoid blow drying my hair at all costs but now I love it cause it makes my hair look so much better!


Body


This stuff is incredible! I love using it instead of a perfume because I'm obsessed with Amika's signature scent! It lasts a pretty long time and is great for second (or third) day hair to keep everything fresh!


The best duo! If you love the scent of Amika products, you definitely need to try these out! The body lotion is super hydrating but soaks in quickly and the body wash foams up really nicely but still leaves my skin moisturized and soft!



This was a super long post but hopefully you found it helpful and found something new to add to your wish list! If you have any questions about any of the products I talked about or Amika in general, send me a DM on Instagram (@lilyytay) xx





Comments